CHIROPRACTIC CARE THROUGHOUT PREGNANCY
“Having your spine checked by a Chiropractor helps to ensure that your pelvis is sitting correctly and allows for optimum room for your baby to grow and move.”1
The benefits of chiropractic care for pregnancy and birthing include:
- Enhanced potential for a more straight forward labour, with less pain and trauma for both mum and child.3
- Significant reduction in labour time. With woman who had chiropractic care throughout their pregnancy reporting an average 24% reduction in labour time for first time mum’s, and a 39% reduction for experienced mum’s. 4
All of our Chiropractors are certified in Websters Technique, a specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment that decreases interference to the nervous system and balances pelvic muscles and ligaments, restoring neurobiomechanical balance to the sacrum/pelvis. 5
In a clinical and theoretical framework, it is proposed that sacral subluxation (misalignment/imbalance) may contribute to difficult labour for the mother (i.e., dystocia). Dystocia is caused by inadequate uterine function, pelvic contraction, and baby mal-presentation. The correction of sacral subluxation may have a positive effect on all of these causes of dystocia.5 The resulting tense muscles and ligaments and their aberrant effect on the uterus may prevent the baby from comfortably assuming the best possible position for birth.5
Studies also demonstrate that constraint upon the uterus may have long-term detrimental effects on development. 2
From ‘WELL ADJUSTED BABIES’ by Dr Jennifer Barham-Floreani1
- Don’t try to sit up from a lying position using your abdominal muscles. Instead, bend your knees, turn onto your side and push yourself up with your arms.
- Remember to unlock your knees when standing and refrain from wearing high-heels.
- Avoid standing with your hands on your hips and pushing your tummy forward.
- Let others lift heavy items for you and avoid carrying toddlers.
- Avoid twisting your spine on top of your pelvis, instead try moving your whole body with your feet. For example, when getting out of the car, turn your whole body towards the open door as you place your feet on the ground.
- Avoid remaining in one position for too long.
- Keep your pelvic floor strong.
- Breathe deeply into your lower abdomen, especially when stressed.
- Gently stretch your body daily.
- Have your spine regularly checked by a Chiropractor.
Barham-Floreani J. Well Adjusted Babies. 2nd Vitality Productions, Victoria Australia. 2009
Hultman C. Autism may result from intra-uterine growth restriction, foetal distress. Epidem. 2002; 13:417-423.
Henderson I MD. American Medical Association records releases in 1987 during trial in U.S. District Court Northern Illinois Eastern division, No. 76C 3777. May, 1987.
Fallon J DC. Chiropractic and Pregnancy, New York: New Rochelle; 1998 pp 103-120.
Ohm J. & Alcantara J. The Webster Technique: Definition, Application and Implications. JPMFH May 2012 pp 49-53.
Provide links through for the underlined sections
Webster’s Technique – http://icpa4kids.com/about/webster_technique.htm
y 2012 pp 49-53.