Christmas Broccoli Salad Serves 12
• 3 medium red capsicums, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
• Coconut oil
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 250g asparagus, chopped in half on an angle
• 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
• 500g green beans, trimmed
• ½ cup whole almonds, toasted in oven
• 250g creamy feta cheese, roughly diced
• 4 cups tightly packed basil leaves, roughly chopped
• ½ cup white wine vinegar
• ¼ tsp Manuka honey
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 2 cups olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Toss capsicums in dash of olive oil, salt and pepper and place on an oven tray. Roast for 20 mins. or until tender and just starting to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
2. Bring large pot of water to boil over a high heat. Blanch the asparagus in the boiling water for approx. 40 seconds, then refresh in iced cold water. Drain and set aside. Repeat the process with the broccoli and beans, cooking for 1 to 2 mins. Blanching will leave your veggies crunchy, so if you prefer a softer bite, boil for slightly longer.
3. Ensure all the veggies are drained well. Pat dry with a clean cloth.
4. To make basil dressing, in a bowl combine basil, vinegar, honey, garlic and lemon juice. Use a stick blender, while slowly pouring in the olive oil to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper.
5. In a large bowl or platter, place all the veggies together with the almonds, feta and 1 cup of basil dressing and toss.